Tuesday, December 14, 2010

An angel

About seven years ago, I got a job teaching first grade at Cottonwood. I was fresh out of college at the ripe old age of 23. I was petrified to begin teaching at this Excelling school where I would taking over the class from an awesome teacher. The teacher who had the class before me was highly requested. Back then parents could request which teacher their child was placed in. Needless to say, some of the parents were not too thrilled to have their child go from an experienced teacher that they knew and requested to... me. I had a lot to live up to and I wasn't really sure I could do it. Then an angel walked into my classroom with a handsome husband and this spunky adorable little boy. The angel was Kim Conca. Kim and her husband Dave were the epitope of what a loving married couple should be. They walked hand-in-hand into the classroom to drop off their oldest son Cody to me, an inexperienced first year teacher. I had been getting cold shoulders and once overs all morning but when this family walked up to me, I could literally feel the warmth radiating from them. Kim was incredibly sweet, reassuring and compassionate. She even gave me a card to wish me luck for the school year! Throughout the school year, the Concas continued to be amazing. Whatever I needed for the classroom, they got, any time I needed a volunteer, they were there, when it came time for a class party, Kim made delicious home-made treats. Being a first year teacher, I was constantly sick. One time when I had a particularly bad cold, Kim brought me a goodie bag full of home-made soup, teas, a coffee mug and a very sweet card. She brought hand-dipped chocolate covered strawberries for all the teachers at Valentine's day. At the end of the year Kim gave me a picture frame with Cody's picture in it. That frame sits on my desk at school to this day. Kim was passionate, sweet, caring, considerate, empathetic. The absolute best wife, mother, friend, person that I have ever and probably will ever know. Kim was taken back to heaven yesterday, far too soon. My heart aches for her husband who lost his best friend. My heart aches for her beautiful children who got such a short time with this amazing woman. I want to do something for them. The only thing that I can think to do, is to live my life the way that Kim lived hers. I will treasure the memory of Kim Conca in my heart forever. I will try to live my life with the passion, caring and love that she lived hers with. In that way, I can help keep her memory alive. I only hope to be half the wife, mother, friend and person that she was. I know that Kim in in heaven, because she truly is an angel.

1 comment:

Ami said...

Sarah, what great memories!! I love it! Especially the chocolate covered strawberries...that's SO kim!! I have that same memory of her...Let's call them "Kimmy Covered Strawberries" from now on! :)