Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The 1st prenatal Dr visit


Everything turned out ok so I thought I'd share my thoughts about our first visit to my wonderful Dr.

10/7/09 Today I had my first prenatal Dr visit. I had heard that this would be the first time they’d do an ultrasound to try to find the baby’s heartbeat. I was petrified the night before that they would not be able to find a heartbeat. I had known a few close friends that had been pregnant and then lost the baby so I was totally freaked out. I even had nightmares that the little screen would be blank. So thankfully James was able to come with me. Good news or bad news, I needed him there. I waited nervously as the Dr explained everything to me, waiting for the machine in the corner to be turned on so I could see if I could celebrate or cry. The moment of truth arrived. As the Dr searched for the tiny baby, my heart raced. She said, well it looks like you’re not quite 8 weeks. My stomach sank, the baby is too small. This isn’t good. Then she asked, have you had any spotting or bleeding. Oh no, she thinks I may have miscarried already. I started tearing up. Then she started looking more and pointed out the yolk sac and... some cardiac activity. There’s a heartbeat! James was very excited to see it. I was slightly relieved but still not entirely sure. The Dr said she wanted to do another ultrasound in two weeks. I thought this might mean she was concerned about the baby’s growth and faint heartbeat. She also didn’t give us the pictures of the ultrasound. Yes, she did say everything looked good and that I should think positive but it was the way she said things and what she didn’t say that made me worry. So I’m waiting two more weeks. Full of worry for this little life growing inside me. All I can do is hope that the Dr will see growth and that I’ll see a better and stronger heartbeat next time. In the meantime, I pray.

3 comments:

Ami Bunch said...

All is well now! I know that was a rough few weeks, but you were strong...the sure sign of a good mom! I'm so happy you're a blogger now!

Leah Spencer said...

I'm starting to see why my midwife opted to set the appointment at 12 weeks and 6 days, instead of 11 weeks and 6 days. She wanted to be SURE that there was a heartbeat.

But with all the "morning" sickness and gas, how could we NOT be pregnant?! :)

Anabelle said...

Whew! I'm happy that waiting time is over and all is right in your world :)
I'm glad you have a reason to blog! Welcome